Fun in the Sun.. Understand Your Insurance Risk

The temperature is rising and the sun is shining, but are you Properly Insured for Your Summer Fun?

A boat insurance policy provides liability coverage if someone is injured on your boat as well as bodily injury inflicted on others and property damage to your boat.  These policies also may be suspended during the months your boat is not in use.

Motorcycles and Scooters:
Motorcycles and scooters are not covered by a standard auto insurance policy.  You must have a separate policy that covers liability, no-fault personal injury protection coverage (if required in your state), or medical payments coverage (if required). Depending on the value of the motorcycle, you may need to purchase comprehensive and/or collision coverage.  When you're getting a quote for insurance for your motorcycle or scooter, ask your insurance provider about any discounts they may offer for taking safety courses or having multiple policies with the same insurance provider.
If you carry seasonal coverage on your motorcycle, which allows you to eliminate liability and perhaps collision coverage during the months you don't ride, make sure your policy is up to date and that you have a current insurance card before hitting the road this summer.  Also, be sure you understand your state's law and your policy's requirements regarding wearing a helmet.  If you have specific questions, contact your state insurance department.

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs):
ATVs are not covered by standard automobile insurances policies; only limited coverage on your homeowners policy.  You should also ask your provider about age restrictions regarding who may operate the ATV, or if the policy covers friends and family, as this could affect the coverage you choose to purchase.

Backyard Fun - Pools and Trampolines:
While they are fun for the family, the dangers associated with pools and trampolines may increase your insurance risk.  Consider purchasing an umbrella policy in addition to your homeowners insurance to provide additional liability coverage.  Some companies may not insure your property if you have a trampoline or swimming pool.  There may also be policy exclusions for liability related to trampoline or swimming pool injuries.
An insurance company may deny coverage or cancel your policy if you do not follow the policy's safety guidelines or fail to inform the company when you build a pool or purchase a trampoline.  Check with your insurance provider for rates, discounts and safety guidelines, such as installing a fence or locked gate.

For many people, fireworks are a tradition on the 4th of July.  However, the use of fireworks, which are illegal in some areas, could jeopardize your insurance coverage if someone is injured or if your home is damaged.


If my child gets their drivers license, do I have to insure them even if they are not driving our cars?

ANSWER:  The answer is "YES". A driver's license gives an individual the authority to legally drive.  That means at any time they can hop into anyone's vehicle with permission and drive, including household vehicles.  Many parents believe that if they only drive their car occasionally they do not have to insure them. This is almost always a problem, because even an occasional use can bring about an accident and usually does.  Since they are new to driving it is almost predictable they will have an accident which puts the parent's auto insurance policy at risk.. The insurance company will have the duty to investigate and if liable pay for damages on your behalf.  Your policy is priced according to who the drivers are in the household to collect the proper premium and certainly a young driver is riskier than without, therefore it is necessary to change the policy accordingly.  No one like the additional cost, but most parents understand that if they allow their children to get licensed then adding them to their policy is the right thing to do.  If you do not want to pay the additional cost of a young driver then the best thing to do is to postpone your child's ability to get their license until they can help pay for the cost.  Just like uninsured drivers cost everyone so does undisclosed drivers in the household who have accidents.

RI Mandatory Auto Insurance Law

Rhode Island requires all owners of a registered vechicle to carry insurance at minimum limits of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury caused to another as well as $25,000 of property damage.  In the past, the obtaining of auto insurance was left to the honor system.
As of July 1, 2014 the DMV will monitor active insurance coverage where as insurance companies will notify the DMV if a policy cancels.  If the DMV is notified your insurance canceled they will give you 30 days to reactivate it.  Thereafter your car registration and drivers license will be revoked.  In addition to having to pay fines there will be a $151.50 license reinstatement fee and a $251.50 registration reinstatement fee.  For vehicle owners who do not show active coverage, the DMV will notify you by mail that you have 15 days to prove you have coverage.  There are over 142,000 uninsured drivers who cost everyone who is insured money when they are hit by an uninsured driver.
Driving is a privilege and with it comes the responsibility of making sure you can pay for the damages and or injury you cause to another.

Thank You

We are so appreciative of all the support we have received from our loyal customers. Many of you have followed us on our entire journey as we search out opportunities that benefit you. It is the mutual exchange of this loyalty that has motivated my family to continuously improve our options so that we can serve you best.

The world of insurance is not easy today for the agent or the client, but by working together we often find ways to make it as easy as possible.

Each of you are not only valuable clients but we also value your friendship. As we have in the past we will continue to work in your best interest.

Thank you for making Lambert's Insurance Connection a Success!

Share by: